Instructions: In your new jigsaw groups, prepare answers to the following questions.
- What are the three elements that can ensure that a language that is about to go extinct continues to survive?
- Name three examples of languages that were saved from extinction.
- Provide three examples of Chinglish.
- Provide three examples of linguistic innovations often used by young women. What are some reasons why these linguistic innovations might be used?
- Provide five examples of verbification. Does your group feel that verbification pollutes or enriches the English language?
- Provide five examples of new words and five examples of words that we no longer use.
- Name the five trends that are causing both words and languages to become extinct.
- Summarize in one sentence what your group has learned about language change during today’s jigsaw.
- Summarize in one sentence how your group feels about these changes.